High Holiday Sweet Cranberry Challah
Marlyn’s Grandfather’s RecipeThis is--simply stated--my favorite challah recipe.....and I have tried many!!!!
Ingredients: to make this a pareve challah for a meat meal
- 3⁄4 cup of non-dairy creamer
- 2 eggs and 1 yolk
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 3 1⁄2 cups of bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 teaspoons of yeast
- 5 tablespoons of margarine
- 1⁄4 cup of dried cranberries
How to: Using a bread machine
- Place the ingredients into the bowl of the bread machine in this order: creamer, eggs, honey, bread flour, sugar, cranberries.
- In placing the salt in the bowl make sure that it is placed in a corner away from the yeast.
- Make a well for the yeast and place the yeast in the well.
- Set the machine on the dough cycle only (about an hour and a half)
- The machine will knead the dough and allow for rising.
- Remove the dough from the machine and knead it on a floured surface.
- Form a log shaped piece of the dough and then use it to shape a circular challah. There should be enough dough for a small and a medium challah.
- Brush the top with egg white.
- Bake at 375 for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown.