This is a joint event of the Pacific Northwest JRF Congregations and Havurot:
Temple Beth Israel (Eugene, Oregon), Temple Beth Shalom (Salem, Oregon), Havurah Shalom (Portland, Oregon), Temple Beth Hatfiloh (Olympia, Washington), and Kadima (Seattle, Washington)
Come join Reconstructionists from across Oregon and Washington for a Yom Iyyun -- a Day of Learning -- to explore how "place" impacts Jewish life and practice in the Diaspora in the 21st century.
This gathering will include an address by Rabbi Dan Ehrenkrantz, the President of the Reconstructionst Rabbinical College. In addition to the keynote, there will be innovative services, lunch and workshops on topics of contemporary interest by local scholars, rabbis, and lay leaders.
Keynote by Rabbi Dan Ehrenkrantz: "When We Talk About Israel, What are We Saying?"
• Rabbi Jane Rachel Litman, "Portnoy’s Mother’s Complaint; Jewish Gender Dislocations in North America"
• Dr. Oren Kosansky, Ph.D., "Place, Person, and Piety in Jewish Morocco"
• Rabbi Dan Ehrenkrantz, Rabbi Yitzhak Husbands-Hankin, and Rabbi Joseph Wolf, moderated by Randi Brenowitz, a discussion: "What Place in Our Lives for this Place Called Israel: the Ideas, Symbols, and Realities of Israel for 21st Century Reconstructionist Jews"
• Simon Goldenberg, “Jewish Life and Immigration in British Columbia”
• David Fuks, “'I Didn’t Want My Mouth Should Be Full': Issues of Aging and the Jewish Community”
This is a wonderful opportunity for Reconstructionist Jews, and those interested in learning about transformative 21st Century Judaism, to enjoy stimulating speakers and discussions, share wisdom & experiences, participate in dynamic workshops and join together in creative worship.
Place: Havurah Shalom, 825 NW 18th Ave., Portland
Cost: $25.00, $15.00 for students
Morning snacks and lunch provided.
Childcare and home hospitality are available through preregistration, at no additional cost. If you would like to travel to Portland the day before this event, a family of Havurah Shalom is happy for you to be their guest on Saturday night. Just check the box on the registration form to indicate that you would like "home hospitality," and you will be contacted with your host's name and contact information.
For information about a scholarship for this event, please contact the office of your own home congregation or havurah.
The full schedule for the day is attached as a pdf below.
If you would like to further support this Yom Iyyun and the educational efforts of the Pacific Northwest JRF Congregations and Havurot, you can make an additional donation by clicking on the Register Now link, below, and entering the amount in the indicated space when you register. This additional donation will be added to your registration fee, and the total amount will be charged to your credit card and will appear on your receipt. Thank you very much for your generosity and your support.